Complex Needs Disability Support Worker (Part time 16 hrs/wk) - Barrhead, Alberta
Job Number: J0219-0193
Job Type: Permanent, Part-Time
City: Barrhead, Alberta
Hours of Work Per Week: 16
Scheduled Days & Hours Each Week: Varies
Number Of Positions: 1
Closing Date: February 18, 2019
Hiring Manager: Lisa LaForge - Program Director
Compensation: $17.09 - $20.00/Hour **As a Complex Needs program this qualifies for an additional $3/hr to the regular wage**
WJS Canada is recruiting an experienced Disability Support Worker to provide complex needs support to a client with developmental disabilities . Our passion is to improve all aspects of a person`s life by focusing on the individuals and their needs.
We encourage every individual we serve to participate in the development of their care plan, and we also invite family members and loved ones to become involved. This ensures the individual’s unique strengths, personal goals and activity preferences are taken into account.
When the individual does not have an extended support system, WJS Canada staff advocates for them, ensures they are heard, valued and treated with respect.
As a Complex Needs Disability Services Worker, you will use your extensive knowledge and experience with disabilities, to identify issues, set goals and celebrate success. Each day you will support the individual's behavior, emotional or physical challenges, assist with daily living and personal care skills, reinforce strengths that are already in place and offer support within community-based homes and around the community.
**As a Complex Needs program this qualifies for an additional $3/hr to the regular wage**
In Your Role You Will
• Assist and support individuals with developing and achieving personal goals.
• Ensure individuals basic needs are met, i.e., hygiene, personal care, life skills and social/occupational skills.
• Observe/document needs of individuals in service.
• Assist the person in service with daily tasks at the residence/program facility (May include food preparation, cleaning, etc.)
• Encourage opportunities for social interaction within the community (vocational, recreational, leisure activities)
• Drive individuals to appointments, day programs, community events, etc..
• Contributes toward design, implementation and evaluation of individual service plans, program specific policies & procedures.
• Communicate/document information that relates to program changes/service recipient changes to peers, ministry representatives and other stakeholders as required.
*** Prior to confirmation of employment all applicants must provide a current (dated within 3 months of hiring date) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, please ensure you prepare accordingly.
As An Ideal Candidate You Possess
• Minimum Grade 12 or Diploma/Degree in Disabilities Studies, Social Work, Human Services, Special Education or equivalent
• MANDATORY - One (1) year experience working with individuals with developmental disabilities & complex needs.
• MANDATORY - A valid Class 5 Driver License with clear driving abstract and reliable transportation
• Clear criminal record check and social services involvement check
• A positive attitude and belief that persons with disabilities have the right / responsibility to define and pursue their life choices, and pursue active participation and involvement in the community.
• Skills in assisting individuals in anger management, daily living, self help, etc.
• First Aid/CPR Certification
• Crisis Prevention Intervention, Medication Administration, Abuse Protocol, Proactive Procedures and Behavioural Strategies, Foundations and Disabilities Training
• Knowledge of basic health and safety rules and guidelines for personal health and safety, as appropriate.
What WJS Canada does
WJS Canada's mission is 'Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services'. The support we provide for families, emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family's strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family's belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services and career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
Our Employees Enjoy
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.