Temporary Community School Liaison Counsellor
FCSS department – Community Services division
Salary: $59,649 – $76,374 annually (based on year-round employment)
This position is laid-off for 6 weeks throughout the summer months; the above salary will be pro-rated accordingly.
Schedule: 35 hours/week, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Term: Approximately 12-month term (Oct. 2017 to Oct. 2018)
Position Type: Salaried, non-management
Closing Date: September 20, 2017 @ 8:30 a.m. or until a suitable candidate is found
We are looking for a creative and energetic individual with exceptional patience and leadership skills who has knowledge of, and experience with, working with children with emotional and behavioral issues that are affecting their ability to learn.
The successful applicant will act as a resource and provide a liaison between families and the school system in order to improve parent/school communications, and the child’s social and in-school functioning. The primary focus is to provide direct, early intervention strategies through counselling, referrals and coordinated casework with the school and other agencies.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, patient and have a love of children. You will also possess:
• Diploma or degree in Social Work or certificate/diploma degree directly related to human services;
• Experience working with children, families and schools;
• Self-starter who takes initiative and works well independently while contributing positively to the team;
• CPR/First Aid Certificate;
• Excellent oral and written communication skills (including presentations);
• Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to use tact, diplomacy and mature judgment;
• Ability to support and work effectively with young people;
• Demonstrated ability to relate effectively to people of diverse cultural and economic backgrounds;
• Good organizational and computer skills;
• Ability to maintain confidentiality;
• Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle (travel to schools within the County is required);
• Satisfactory Criminal Record and Child & Family Services background checks.
Qualified applicants may apply in confidence to the County of Grande Prairie's website.