Slave Lake, AB
Children’s Services Family Service Specialist job in Slave Lake, AB #SL-391-FSS
Temporary – Maternity leave coverage starting October 10, 2017
Location: Slave Lake, AB
Full time: 40 hrs/wk
Shift: Mon – Fri 8:30 – 4:30 (some weekends, evenings)
Regular rate: $27 – $31/hr (based on education & experience)
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of local families?
We are currently recruiting a Social Services Family Service Specialist who works directly with families, youth and children in Slave Lake, AB and the surrounding community. Working closely with Children’s Services staff, you will support and provide interventions under the Collaborative Service Delivery model, by coordinating family care teams to provide support and ensure best outcomes for families. Evening and weekend work is required to accommodate families’ schedules. This position reports to the Lead Practice Specialist/Program Manager.
How we make a difference: WJS Canada’s mission is “Strengthening people and communities with innovative, individualized services”. The support we provide for families emphasizes building relationships to enhance the family’s strengths and achieve goals that address their needs for support in areas of struggle. Services are individualized and based on the family’s belief that their own internal resources can be strengthened and that other helpful skills can be developed. For more information on WJS, services & career opportunities, visit www.wjscanada.com
At WJS Canada, trust, strong connections, innovation and results are the pillars of our mandate. We manage by developing our core strength: our people. We give employees the tools to do the job, developing their competence and their confidence, by conducting training programs to ensure professional development and build skills, employee morale, employee safety, health, loyalty and satisfaction. Developing people includes respecting employees work-life balance through flexible hours, locations and duties. We support our staff with assistance and benefit packages, innovative wellness programs and compassion for the life challenges they face.
Our employees enjoy:
• Flexible hours of work.
• Inspiring, challenging and rewarding work where you will make a difference each and every day you work.
• Training and development programs to increase your knowledge and skills and ignite your career!
• Appreciative teams, Appreciative clients, Organizational Recognition and Rewards.
• Comprehensive benefit plans for full time employees. (This temp FT position is eligible for benefits after 6 months until the position ends)
Where we work: While WJS serves individuals in many communities across Canada this opportunity is in Slave Lake, Alberta. Slave Lake is a small town in northern Alberta about 200 km northwest of Edmonton and a similar distance southwest of Fort McMurray. It is located on the southeast shore of Lesser Slave Lake. For more information visit http://www.slavelakeregion.ca/
How you will make a difference in the Social Services Family Service Specialist job in Slave Lake, AB:
• Establish trusting relationships with children & families, while assisting them in the development of interpersonal, communication skills, daily living skills, and other areas of interest.
• Provide flexible and responsive client centered support to address children, youth, family or caregiver needs through individual program plans while respecting choices, decisions and needs of families.
• A key component of this position is supporting children & families to connect with resources and organizing ongoing service delivery with stakeholders.
• Collaborate and/or work as a team with community systems (i.e. school), specialized service providers, volunteers and extended family members.
• Conduct family visits in the community and be available for evening/weekend visits.
• Attend supervised visits with families that are involved with the Ministry of Human Services.
• Transport individuals or families as required.
• Accommodate and respect cultural, social and religious heritage.
• Administrative duties including typing/filing reports, compiling monthly reports, etc.
**All applicants must provide a current (within 3 months) Criminal Record Check and Ministry Check prior to confirmation of employment with WJS Canada. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to obtain, prepare accordingly.
As an ideal candidate you possess:
• Diploma in Social Services, Bachelor of Social Work or similar education. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
• 3 years experience working with families in a human or family services field.
• Demonstrated knowledge of therapeutic and intervention theories and the stages of child development;
• Excellent verbal, written and listening communication skills and interpersonal skills in order to work effectively with individuals and groups from a variety of diverse communities and to resolve conflict in an effective manner;
• MANDATORY – Valid Alberta Class 5 Driver’s License, reliable vehicle with appropriate insurance, and clean driver’s abstract
• Strong understanding of the Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act.
• Valid CPR/First Aid and WHMIS
• Knowledge of aboriginal culture is an asset.
• Training in suicide prevention and cultural sensitivity